Aaahhhh..... the lazy crazy days of summer! You know those days, the ones when you spend most of your waking hours outside enjoying the glorious weather. A little bit of gardining, playing in the sandbox with the kids, lounging with a book under a shady tree, sipping sangria on the patio with your girlfriends.... ahhh, heaven! Well, if you're anything like me, I dread coming in from the sunshine on a beautiful summer day to make lunch for everyone. Don't get me wrong, I love making a yummy lunch, but I hate fussing about the kitchen while I'm missing out on being outside.
So, I'm going to let you in on a little tip! While you're busy in the kitchen making your morning coffee and puttering around anyway, whip up
this chicken salad. It will save you tons of time later on! Any leftover chicken from last night's dinner is perfect for this chicken salad. Just chop, toss and stir - that's it!
The tomato and basil flavours in this chicken salad are a nod to summer. The radish and red onion give it a bit of crunch and a bit of flavour zing. It's loaded with veggies which are oh-so-good for you and we all know we need to get more servings of fresh veggies in our diet each day. Besides, these veggies are delicious anyway!
Okay, so back to the recipe... once it's ready cover it up and pop it in the fridge until you're ready for lunch. It hardly gets any easier than this! Just grab the bowl, a serving spoon, some lettuce and a bag of rustic whole grain buns and lunch is served! Letting the chicken salad sit in the fridge for a few hours helps let all of the flavours meld together.... kinda like that sangria I was talking about earlier! So really, it's like this lunch was just made for glorious summer days!
Update: I'm alaways excited when one of my recipe blogs is featured on the feedfeed's website! This recipe was featured in their Sandwich love! feed - check it out! https://thefeedfeed.com/lovegoodfoodblog/rustic-chicken-salad-and-basil-sandwiches
- 1 cup of shredded chicken
- 1/4 cup of mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup of sour cream
- cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 radish, chopped
- slice of red onion, diced
- basil leaves, chopped
- chives, chooped
- dash of kosher salt
- dash of black pepper
- sprinkle of sugar
1. In a bowl combine mayonnaise, sour cream, pepper, salt and sugar and stir
2. Add shredded chicken, tomatoes, radish, onion, basil, and chives and stir until all mixed
3. Cover chicken salad and refrigerate
4. To prepare sandwiches I like to add a layer of lettuce on the bottom and load on the chicken salad
* I love using a rustic bun like these multigrain buns I found at the bakery in my local supermarket
When I think of comfort food, hot chicken noodle soup always comes to mind. It's warm and yummy and helps make you feel better when you're a little under the weather. This rice vermicelli bowl with roasted chicken is my Asian spin on the old chicken noodle classic. Long white rice vermicelli noodles are placed in a hot bowl of ginger-garlic broth and topped with roast chicken and stir fried veggies. Just a head's up - there are a few steps to this meal and you'll have a few dirty pots at the end, but I promise, it'll all be worth it! Some of the health benefits of this yummy spin on chicken noodle come from the garlic and ginger. The medicinal properties of garlic and ginger have been known for centuries. They were prescribed for ailments such as morning sickness, heart disease, colds, tick bites, arthritis, and a whole slew of other ailments but I won't bore you with a whole essay on it! Just know that we can all benefit from the antioxidants and immune system boosters of ginger and garlic! The next time you aren't feeling well I hope someone brings you a piping hot bowl of Rice Vermicelli in a Ginger Garlic Chicken Broth.
And it seems that the feedfeed agrees that this bowl of comfort food will help you feel better too! It has been featured on their Feel Better feed, check it out: https://thefeedfeed.com/lovegoodfoodblog/vermicelli-noodles-with-ginger-garlic-chicken-broth.
- 1 package of white rice vermicelli noodles
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 cups of homemade chicken broth or a 32 oz/900 mL carton of low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 inch of fresh ginger, sliced coin sized
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed with the side of a knife blade
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 bunch spinach leaves (approximated 2 cups)
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
- soya sauce
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil for the vermicelli noodles
2. Meanwhile heat up 1/2 tbsp of vegetable oil in a frying pan
3. Chop up chicken breast and place in a frying pan and cook chicken until outside of chicken is browned and the chicken is cooked through - put aside
4. Put the broth in another pot and bring to a boil - I promise, you'll only have 2 elements on the go at any time!
5. Add fish sauce, 2 smashed garlic cloves, fresh ginger and sugar to the broth, add salt to taste and return to medium heat
6. Place vermicelli noodles in boiling water and cook for 2-5 minutes, or as per the package directions, stir to loosen strands, drain and put aside (the noodles will be ready when they're soft all the way through)
7. Heat up a wok on medium-high heat and add 1 tbsp of vegetable oil.
8. Add onion and peppers to wok and quickly flash-fry, once peppers and onions have softened a bit and have a bit of a sear, take off the heat and add the spinach and toss the spinach and vegetables until the spinach wilts (the spinach will "cook" in the residual heat of the pan and will wilt down substantially)
9. Now you're ready to put it all together!
- pour 1 cup of broth in each bowl
- place desired amount of vermicelli noodles in each bowl
- spoon veggies and chicken breast on top of noodles
- sprinkle black sesame seeds and you're ready to serve!
* have soya sauce available on the table for anyone who would like a splash!
makes 4 servings
Have a great day and Love Good Food! ❤️
Nutrition ratio: 49:29:22
Wife, mother and pilot, with a passion for good food.