Coconut Curry Pumpkin Soup
Although the official first day of fall has already come and gone today genuinely feels like the first day of fall. It's on days like today that I crave heartwarming (and belly warming!) soup. We have pumpkins, lots of pumpkins, so I am excited to be cooking and baking with pumpkins this month. You see, we planted pumpkins in our garden this year, which was our first year ever planting a garden... omg - that is a whole other story for another day, I'll have to write a blog just about that! anyway, now it's time to harvest. If you have never planted pumpkins before I'll tell you that pumpkins stretch their vines far and wide, I was shocked at how far these little pumpkins went! so give them lots and lots of space to grow.
- 1 small pumpkin, but you can substitute a butternut or buttercup squash if pumpkin is unavailable
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 carton vegetable broth
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp powdered coriander seed
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup coconut milk
- cream for garnish (optional)
- green onion for garnish (optional)
- olive oil for pumpkinseed garnish (optional)
1. Cut off the pumpkin skin, chop the flesh into cubes and remove the seeds and rinse, keep seeds aside
2. In a pot over medium high heat, add the vegetable broth, pumpkin flesh, onion and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce the heat to medium and add the curry powder, coriander powder and brown sugar and cook until pumpkin and onion are tender, about 10 minutes
4. While the vegetables are cooking heat the oven to 350F, spread the pumpkin seeds on a baking sheet, drizzle with oil and sprinkle with curry powder, salt and pepper, and bake until browned
5. Add the coconut milk and using an immersable blender blend the soup until smooth
6. Add salt and pepper to taste and add additionally curry powder if desired and heat on low for 5 minutes, don't let it boil with the coconut milk!
7. Serve and garnish with pumpkin seeds, green onion and a drizzle of cream - enjoy!
Leave a Reply.
Wife, mother and pilot, with a passion for good food.