Hearty Kale Potato & Sausage Soup
When the weather starts to cool off I start craving hearty soups. Soups to warm you up from the inside out and keep you toasty warm all day. Now, I'm not going to pretend that this isn't low fat or that it isn't piled high with calories, because, well, one quick look at the ingredient list, and it speaks for itself.... can we say Italian Sausage and Cream? Need I say more? But honestly, this is all good food here, there's potatoes, kale, onions and tomatoes? Some really delicious stuff here. If you've been following me you'll know that my deal is all about balance. I can't suggest you make this soup every day, that would be too much, but once in awhile this soup is amazing! It's a treat to have this decadent soup.
- package of mild Italian sausage, cut into slices
- 4 potatoes, chopped
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 carton of low sodium chicken broth
- kale, roughly chopped
- 1/2 pint of cherrytomatoes
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper
- chopped parsley (dried or fresh)
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 cup half and half cream
1. In a heavy pan or Dutch oven brown the sausage and then add the potatoes and onions and continue to cook until vegetables have softened and sausage is fully cooked
2. Add the chicken broth, kale and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
3. Add salt, pepper, parsley and red chilli pepper flakes (optional) and reduce heat, cook for 5 minutes
4. Add cream and stir!
Leave a Reply.
Wife, mother and pilot, with a passion for good food.