You'll love these Mushroom & Ground Beef Bites! Each bite has a burst of flavour combining finely chopped mushrooms and ground beef in a mini tortilla shell topped with a lime sriracha mayo, cherry tomatoes and fresh green onions. It's reminiscent of a taco salad, but different, and it's all packed into one bite! The big flavour kick comes from the Lime Sriracha Mayo. If you're like me you just might want to double the mayo recipe! It tastes great with sweet potato fries, French fries, and spread on sandwiches and wraps... just be warned, I've been known to find excuses to dip just about any food into it. You can make the Lime Sriracha Mayo ahead and cover it, it will keep in the refrigerator for several days. I like the mayo a bit spicy, so if you aren't a lover of spicy food start off with just one teaspoon of sriracha and taste, adding one more teaspoon at a time until you find the right level of heat. Same goes for you spicy lovers, add as much heat as you want, just be courteous to your guests, not everyone may appreciate the extra hot mayo! Put some jalapeño peppers on the side for your friends who like it extra hot!
I like recipes that are flexible, so go ahead and use your favourite ground meat. You can easily substitute ground turkey, ground chicken or ground sausage in this recipe. You will love this easy to make balanced appetizer with veggies, protein and tortilla chips! With Blend and Extend you'll add extra vitamins and minerals.
- 1 cup finely chopped mushrooms- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 bag of mini tortilla bowls (like Tostitos Scoops)
- 1/2 pint of cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- green onions, sliced
- jalapeño peppers, sliced (optional)
Lime Sriracha Mayo Ingredients
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp granulated sugar
1. In a pan cook the mushrooms until they are soft and transfer them to a bowl
2. Brown the ground beef in the frying pan over medium heat until fully cooked and drain off the fat
3. While the beef is browning make the Lime Sriracha Mayo: combine the mayonnaise, sriracha sauce, lime juice, chilli powder and sugar in a bowl and stir until well mixed and taste, add more sriracha sauce as desired to achieve the desired level of "heat", if you don't like "hot", start of with 1/2 tbsp and taste
4. Add the mushrooms to the ground beef and stir
5. Place the tortilla scoops on a serving platter, spoon the mushrooms and beef into each one, add a dollop of lime sriracha mayo on top and garnish with cherry tomato half and green onions and enjoy!
Notes:* you can substitute ground turkey or ground chicken, just add 1 tbsp of vegetable oil to add moisture while browning the meet
* the sriracha mayonnaise can be made ahead, covered and refrigerated
* leftover sriracha mayo can be covered and kept in the fridge for up to 3 days, it makes a great dip for sweet potato fries or spread on sandwiches and wraps
Wife, mother and pilot, with a passion for good food.