Rhubarb Vodka Sparkler
- 8-10 stalks of rhubarb
- fresh water
- 1 cup of sugar
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 bottle of sparkling water
- lemon slices and blueberries for garnish
* omit the vodka for an alcohol free beverage
1. In a medium saucepan bring 4 cups of water to boil
2. Chop the rhubarb and add to the pot of boiling water and reduce to medium heat
3. Simmer the rhubarb for 10-15 minutes, until the rhubarb becomes very tender (you may see pink pulp sticking to the side of the pot)
4. Take the pot off the heat and cool for 5-10 minutes (this will help with the next step)
5. With a slotted spoon scoop out the rhubarb pieces and discard
6. Strain the liquid from the rhubarb pulp: this is the tricky part! You can do this with either:
a) fine wire mesh strainer placed over the top of a wide mouth pitcher or over a bowl, make sure the strainer lays steady and that the liquid will all drain into the container
b) place a colander inside a bowl large enough to hold the colander and line the colander with a large sheet of paper towel or cheesecloth
7. Strain the liquid through in batches as needed, the fine pulp can slow down the process, clean it out as needed.... this is the tedious part!
8. Make a simple syrup by bringing one cup of water and one cup of sugar to boil and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved
9. Add the rhubarb liquid, lemon juice and simple syrup together in a pitcher and stir, chill in the refrigerator
10. When ready to serve pour some rhubarb mix into a glass and top off with ice, a shot of vodka and sparkling water
* the finer the strainer you use, the more pulp that will be removed from the liquid, I usually use a fine mesh strainer but I didn't have one at the cottage so I used a few sheets of paper towel in a colander placed inside a large bowl, worked wonders. It's slower than the mesh strainer but it also removed more pulp, you could do the same with cheesecloth in a colander
Leave a Reply.
Wife, mother and pilot, with a passion for good food.